Monday, December 31, 2007

Daoist Ceremony

We found out Sunday morning that there was a Daoist religious festival going on and decided to ride our bikes over and see it before church. Apparently they only do this every forty years. The previous temple was destroyed in an earthquake in '99 and and they were "rededicating" the new temple I guess. The details aren't really clear to me since I don't speak the language- so sorry if this is completely inaccurate information.



This is a huge mountain of rice and steamed rolls. They put all this food out for the ancestors to eat the spirit of the food and then the people have a great big feast.



There were rows and rows of tables filled with food and intricate little, edible sculptures of all kinds of animals. I even saw Garfield, Santa Claus, and Winnie the Pooh.



Here are some pigs with internal organs hanging from their mouths.


Here we are in front of the temple:




I filmed us riding back home on our bikes.

1 comments:

Jodi said...

Oh-Sara bug, you are having an adventure of a life time. I am going to email your new blog address to Jer. He is going to love seeing all these places. It will bring back so many memories I am sure. Do you have their address? Susannah Harris [susannahlharris@gmail.com] Anyway, it is so fun to live vicariously through your adventure. I would never survive morning sickness in Taiwan with all the smells. I could barely read about it. I am glad you are there and safe. Love-J0-jo