Sunday, April 6, 2008

Taipei


Friday was Tombsweeping Day and we had the day off. They let the cemetaries here get overgrown with weeds and vines and then once a year in April, they sweep and clean the tombs of their ancestors.





Anyway, because we got the day off, we planned a trip to Taipei. We stayed in the temple housing for people who come from out of town to go to the temple. After doing a session on Friday, we headed out for dinner in Taipei.





We found out there was a Macaroni grill near the Taipei 101 Tower so we rode the MRT down-town and walked around until we found it. It was the best meal ever!!!




After that, we had so much fun walking around and shopping. There were a lot of street performers and fun things to see. The weather was perfect!



I don't think we can go to Taipei without getting icecream at Cold Stone Creamery....sooo good!




Later, we hit one of the best night markets I have been to since being in Taiwan...can't wait to go back. I bought this fun watch for just $200NT ($6). Jessica approved my purchase since I can't make decisions on my own and Mary has declared it universally awesome since both she and Jessica like it.















The next day we decided to hike Elephant Mountain. Here's Laura and a view of Taipei 101.





Joseph & Jessica boldly forging new frontiers.















We walked all the way from up here to the 101 Tower where we met up with Steve for lunch.







On the way, we found this fun little park with a rock climbing wall where Jessica and Joseph showed their climbing prowess.


















Sun Yat San Memorial


















You know you wish you had a picture doing this...


While waiting for the train on our way home, a guy walked up and asked us if we were Mormon. He waved to his friend to come over and she introduced herself to us. We talked to them for a few minutes and they asked if they could get a picture with us. This is Esther on the left...she was really sweet. I swear, there are Mormons everywhere here. I am loving Taiwan way too much and am kind of dreading the day I have to come home and go back to the "real world". Only 3 more months left...

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Sooooo, will there ever be a juicy post about the romances among the group. Realizing there are only a couple of guys and a whole lot of girls. Just wondering! Hey-I know everyone is wondering, and I am the one that will take one for the team and ASK!

Mary said...

Universally awesome. PS, I love how irritated I look in the half of a second shot of my in your first video. :)