Saturday, June 21, 2008

Graduation



It's all over... we survived.... Saturday was graduation for the basic reading and 6th grade classes. All of these pictures are courtesy of Steve or Mary since I don't have a camera anymore.

The kids performed both Chinese and English musical numbers for graduation. This dragon dance was awesome.









These are our youngest kindergartners Oscar, Dream, Yvonne, and Sky. They are so cute- we can't get enough of them. Yvonne can't stop giggling whenever she sees Joseph and Steve...it's hilarious.






















We love our kindergartners...
















Here's Stanley as the cutest bunny rabbit I've ever seen. He still likes to tell me, "I don't want sit by you!"




These are Joseph and Laura's cute kindergarten basic readers. The amazing Mr. Joseph actually choreographed most of the song and the kids love it. It's fun to watch how much they get into the song.



We took this picture of my basic reading class just before we realized they were performing next and no one had their dwarf costumes on. Somehow we got everyone dressed and made it just in time!




They sang and danced to Whistle While You Work with brooms and mops. This is Sunny in her dwarf costume.



Here's my class waiting to get their diplomas.



The last number was put on by all of the teachers...but we don't have any pictures of it. We acted out the song, The Lion Sleeps Tonight and Steve was the Lion. The kids loved it.



I don't think I've ever seen Chris (a student in my Basic Reading class) display very much emotion... but after graduation he was really crying. The thought crossed my mind that maybe he got in trouble and was actually crying over some corporal punishment inflicted on him- but his parents said he was really sad and asked me to take a picture with him. It just amazed me that he was this distraught over school ending...wow...who knew?


This is Peggy- another one of my students who graduated on Saturday.









There is a wall at Berhan that has the pictures of each group of teachers that have come here. This is the picture that will be posted on that wall at Berhan to be viewed for years to come by future Berhan teachers.




After graduation, we all went out to eat a huge Taiwanese meal courtesy of Frances and Gerald (the owners of the school).

This is Fennie- one of the new secretaries this semester. We loved getting to know her and hate saying goodbye. She's a lot of fun.



Gloria and Peggy are two more secretaries who work at our school. The amazing Gloria took time out of her busy schedule to show us how to make dumplings...they were sooooo good! She is amazing!!!




We've had a fun weekend reminiscing, packing, having a huge potluck with whatever was left of the food in the kitchen, and playing murder in the dark on the top floors of our building. Tomorrow we're off on our ten day trip around Taiwan and then it's another ten days in Thailand. I'll be home July 15th. This six months went by so fast...I just hope I survive the separation from this awesome family we've become. We've had way too much fun here... the next 3 weeks are going to be awesome...so long as we don't get rained out...typhoon season is here...

2 comments:

GreenTaiwan said...

Hey Sara. I have wanted to call you but I don't have your cell number. Let me know when you get it. I will send you mine in a facebook message. Hope you are doing great, I miss you already. It was sad going around town today by myself. The American Chinese food wasn't as good as I remember either but I suppose nothing is as good as the real thing. I really want to still be your friend so don't kick me out of your life yet. Maybe I could stop by and visit you on the way down to Ephraim this weekend, anyways let me know.

Susannah said...

So does this mean that you are done posting on this? Hello, anyone there? I miss get updates with what you are doing, who know, maybe you never got home safe and you are stuck in some prison in Taiwan. Hope you are doing well there! I need your e-mail address for you and your sis and your mom. I finally broke down and did a blog myself. Anyway, talk to you soon.