Saturday, February 21, 2009

Crisis Averted

Bethany has her baking certificate from the Art Institute of Phoenix. With these qualifications, it was only a matter of time before she was asked to teach the sisters in Relief Society how to make cream puffs. She's made them plenty of times before and always uses the tried and tested recipe she learned at baking school. But on the fateful day of the Relief Society class, my mom got a tragic phone call. Bethany had made several batches and her cream puffs just weren't puffing. She was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, so my mom and I took work off early and raced home to assess the situation. I half expected to find Bethany curled up in the fetal position on the floor, surrounded by flour and baking paraphernalia. She was holding on by a thread and had taken down the framed graduation picture in the living room that shows her accepting a diploma while wearing a chef's hat and jacket.


Indeed, her puffs were flatter than fritters.

With only a few hours to spare, we got down to business and googled another cream puff recipe. Mom raced to the store to buy more eggs & butter. Here I am with a fake smile on my face trying to look like Betty Crocker.
My cream puffs definitely did not look as professional as Bethy's.

Teamwork

Filling the puffs...




If you look in the lower left hand corner of this picture, you can see Bethany's graduation picture.

In the end, Bethy's Relief Society cream puff class went off without a hitch and her graduation picture is back on display in the living room.

Ta-Da!!

6 comments:

Susannah said...

yummy!!! Cream puffs are one of my favorite desserts! They look awesome and you would never have guessed that something went wrong. Do you have any extras?

Jodi said...

I am so hysterical right now. What a crack up. It is straight form the Food Network. Bethy makes everything taste great and so funny!

Melinda said...

So great, way to work together ladies.
Moral of the story: When your puffs aren't puffin, call your girls 'n they'll come a huffin.
(I feel a little like grandpa Jack right now)

Annalee Taylor said...

lol. THis was so funny! I am glad your finally posting!! I cracked up about Beth taking her diploma down...so funny. So...now im craving some puffs? Road trip anyone?

Georges said...

Those look so yummy!! Way to go teamwork!!

Melinda said...

Hey will you send me your address? fancyblossoms@gmail.com