Saturday, January 12, 2008

Chinglish

My new favorite hobby is finding Chinglish sayings anywhere I can...So when one of my students wore this sweatshirt to class...I had to document it. I think it's funny that the 'F' got cut off and now her shirt says "un-loving spirit". Awesome.



Here is my basic reading class...the boys are a little bit of a hand-ful but with a class size of only six and these six kids being better behaved than their American counter-parts...I've got nothing to complain about. It's a 3 hour class though, that is in addition to whatever regular schooling they attend so who wouldn't be a little wound up?




There is this adorable 2 or 3 year old little girl named Dream that for the first few days of kindergarten, had the cutest scowl on her face. I called her Pearl for one full day before realizing I was calling her the name of Will Ferrell's 3-year-old landlord in a short film I saw on YouTube. Oops.




2 comments:

Annalee Taylor said...

I have seen the Will Ferrel you tube video...so funny! Its a good thing that Dream probably hasnt...she might have started calling you obsinities! (sp?) Looks like they are fun...Its weird that they all have normal...kinda (Dream?) names. I was expecting names like Ting Ty or Kang Wuan!

Sara said...

Actually, the kids have Chinese names but we would never be able to pronounce them correctly or remember them so their parents give them English names when they go to school to learn English. Some people pick really weird names...like the guy who owns the place where we buy Bingshaws named his kids Trouble and Double Trouble and gave himself the name Hello Kitty. Maybe he thinks it's good for business?