Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Costco!!!

Saturday was our long anticipated trip to Costco. There are only 4 teachers who have scooters so Mary, Steve, Jessica, & I took the train and a cab and everyone else rode by scooter. This is where we waited for the train to Tai Chung. The train only costs 22NT which is less than a dollar.





The girl just behind Mary in this video spoke English and helped us get off at the right stop (which was really helpful when I walked off the train before I was supposed to).


When we left the train station, a woman came up to us and asked if we needed a taxi and told this taxi driver where we needed to go. The ride to Costco cost 160NT. ($6?)


We met up with the scooter riders at Costco and were really excited to eat Costco pizza. They also had a slushy mango drink that was really good.

Okay- so Jeanney...if you're reading this...you wanted to know what a Costco in Taiwan is like....here it is!



This Costco had two floors and magnetized escalators that held our cart in place as we rode to the second floor.


I think I say in this video that we're on the third floor, but we're actually only on the second floor.

It was extremely crowded.

Books in Chinese...I didn't see Twilight though.


They had lots of American movie DVDs in Chinese. Here's Pirates of the Carribean.



It was great to be able to buy american food even though it was more expensive than it is in the U.S. I think I spent around $15 just on canned chicken so that I can make chicken salad sandwiches. The only problem is the mayo here tastes really weird so I should have bought Costco mayo. We bought stuff that we can't get in our local grocery stores like tortilla chips, cheese, and yummy Costco muffins!


Afterwards, we flagged down a taxi driver who didn't understand when we pumped our arms and said, "Chugga chugga choo choo!" Go figure. He ended up calling someone on his cell phone who spoke English and we explained that we needed to go to the train station.

1 comments:

Jodi said...

Sometimes don't you feel like you are playing pictionary or MadGab trying to be understood by someone who speaks a different language. It must be exhausting. I bet those were the best tasting muffins ever!
PS-The Monster at the End of the Book is my other favorite. When Taison was a baby that was one of the books I bought him. He loved it, mostly because Susannah does a great Grover voice.