Sunday, January 27, 2008

A lovely cheese pizza, just for me!


People of Taiwan:

If you were in Taichung last night and saw a crazy American riding backwards on a scooter holding something large wrapped up in a poncho...that was me. I'm glad I could provide some entertainment and just want to thank you for not openly mocking me.

After cleaning the church building in Taichung and helping our branch president pack his house (they are moving into a new place this week), Destiny and I decided to go to Costco and buy a couple of pizzas to take home and freeze so that we can have pizza any time we want. Mary asked us to grab her one too.

The hard part is trying to figure out how to carry three pizzas home on a scooter.




This is how ridiculous I looked:


When we stopped at intersections, I could feel the stares of the other people on scooters and in cars around me. At one point, I turned and saw several girls wearing orange aprons inside a restaurant all looking out the window at me. On the floor just above them, there were cooks, pointing with their spatulas and waving to their co-workers to come and see the lunatic riding backwards on a scooter.


We decided to drop the pizzas off at the church building and go shopping at the Taichung night market. Something was going on at the church though, so we felt weird about hauling three huge pizza boxes inside. We decided to leave the pizzas with the scooter in the church parking lot and hoped that the poncho would keep them safe.

Destiny showed me some great stores that have the best Chinglish shirts ever! I can't wait to get paid so I can start collecting them!



















Tanya, this white shirt reminded me of you because of it's Hawiian flair- I like how it says shake ice instead of shave ice.



I'm not sure why, but I think this snowman sweatshirt just might be my favorite... it's just so random.

















































































If you click on this gray shirt, you can hopefully see the random Chinglish written on it. I can't tell for sure but it sounds like it's talking about a golf swing?






Here's a fabulous Puma knock-off:


We then moved on to the men's section and found a ton of crazy clothes. I like the random chains hanging from the neck of this striped shirt.


















Here is Destiny displaying a very masculine shirt:


I realized I hadn't drank any water all day (it's so wet here that I sometimes forget). The problem is, everybody just drinks tea here and it's hard to pick something to order when you don't know if you're going to get tea or not. I finally saw this place that looked like they sold orange juice (Taiwan has freshed squeezed orange juice in practically every store and it is soooo good!). Destiny and I looked at the drink menu and through a process of elimination, picked two things to order. I wanted a fruit bingshaw but this is what I got:





















It's a tea bingshaw which I'm sure would be really good if you drink tea- but I don't, so I just played with it until Destiny finished her orange juice. Then we bolted out of there since I felt bad about leaving a full glass sitting on the table.

After that, we went back to the church (the pizzas were still there untouched) and headed home through a light drizzle.

The cardboard pizza boxes were pretty flimsy from all the moisture in the air but miraculously, the pizzas survived the trip! Destiny's pizza box had a hole in the bottom though.

1 comments:

Mary said...

And to think that part of what you went through was for me... you really are a rare and precious gem. Thank you!